1.25.2020

Focusing on Marriage

Last week I blogged about the formation of a family, specifically my childhood family. Much of who I have become reflects my upbringing and the values my parents taught me. There are many external threats to marriages.  In my marriage class this week our focus was on the definition of marriage, specifically the legalization of same-sex marriage.  I am still forming my beliefs on this topic, so I am choosing to focus on what I do know.

I know that Satan is working on diminishing the meaning of marriage throughout the world. I believe that he is working hard within marriages of those who do choose to commit to each other.  President Nelson said, “There is great power in a strong partnership.” (Disciples of Christ; Defenders of Marriage, 2014). I believe Satan knows this and he works to break down that partnership. I have found the more I know myself and am confident in who I am the stronger I am as an individual and as a partner, and I can withstand Satan’s snares. I think it’s safe to say that if two people know who they are, what they stand for, and where they are going, then they are strong enough to overcome the tempters tactics together.

President Nelson continues in his speech mentioning that now is the time for us to “define our goals.” (Disciples of Christ; Defenders of Marriage, 2014). I know that when my husband and I decided we would marry and that it would be in the temple, it seemed that many hardships came up that left us both disappointed. For example, I hadn’t been paying my tithing and my bishop said that our planned date to marry was too soon. He wanted me to be able to be a full tithe payer for 6 months so that I could be better prepared to enter the temple. I can look back now and be ever so grateful for that experience, at the time it was hard! My husband and I were “ready” to get married at our set date. Having this experience really allowed me to “re-define my goals”. I wanted my husband and I to always be full tithe payers so that we could receive those blessings.

Satan is a master at weakening strong marriage partnerships with temptations such as pride, impatience, lack of communication, dishonesty, jealousy, hate, pornography and addiction. His tactics are endless.  Satan’s plan is to cause a couple or individual to doubt their goals and their strength together.

I have been able to recognize moments when my husband and I have lost focus or forgotten our goals.  It takes work to get back on track in our relationship. We have to intentionally bring Heavenly Father into our marriage and focus on who we are and our eternal goals. Focusing on our marriage is what allows us to realize our potential and Heavenly Father’s plan for us. We see where we are going and the blessings along the way.



REFERENCES

Nelson, Russell M. (2014, August 14). “Disciples of Christ-Defenders of Marriage”. Brigham Young University Commencement Speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment