In “The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work”,
Dr. John Gottman explains a love map as being, “intimately familiar with each
other’s world. I call this having a richly detailed love map - my term for that
part of your brain where you store all the relevant information about your
partner’s life.” While reading Gottman’s work I was able to think about what my
love map looks like and how it is serving my marriage. My thoughts went from
our beginning years and how much attention we paid to each other and what I
could remember us talking about that I kept stored on my map. There was
information of memories of the past to sharing our future with each other. Many
places on that map where we sketched in dreams for us and our family. Then I
went to the hard times we have had and thought about what places I put on that
map and what feelings were associated with those times. We have travelled
through things I hadn’t imagined we’d go through and at times our map seemed
creased and wrinkly but thankfully we still saw the destination and we continued.
I was then able to visualize our map now and see places where we could fill in
some more information and maybe update our map visually.
I know that because my husband and I both look up to
one another and have a desire to lift one another up, that we have been able to
keep our map intact. Despite folds and spills, we have both been able to take turns
holding and reading the map and guiding the other along the way when we have
been weak in spirit. We have allowed the challenges we have faced, and probably
will face, to remind us we even have a map. It is a map we created, and we can
continue to develop our map for us.
I know that as time passes the more, that this map
will have to endure. I try to focus on the two people who created this map and
I try to help both of us see our best selves so that we can understand our
potential and see what Heavenly Father has in store for us. If I can focus on
the positive qualities both my husband and I have that will help us nurture or
fondness and love for one another. We can both be strengthened when we focus on
this and allowing the Savior into our relationship.
REFERENCES
Gottman, John M. Ph.D, and Silver, Nan, "The Seven Principles for
Making Marriage Wor," Harmony Books, 1999.
No comments:
Post a Comment