3.28.2020

Counseling Together


For about 3 months now we have been holding family councils. I have noticed a change in each of my children as well as my husband. I myself have been changed by the connection that we are creating by holding such councils. I feel it has benefitted our family fbecause I have noticed that our kids seem to feel more a part of the decisions we make. They also contribute more and realize that they have a voice in our family, that it isn’t just always “mom and dad deciding what we do.” Individually, each of our children are open with us in dialogue on different matters but holding a family council has brought openness with each of them, I feel like it has brought them closer and they are learning how to better communicate with each other.
I feel like it has also been a great way for our children to see their dad and the way he holds his priesthood and uses his leadership skills. I have enjoyed being able to have time set aside to discuss our schedule and upcoming events with my husband so that he knows what our kids and myself having going on each week so that he can plan his work schedule accordingly. I also enjoy the time to share our thoughts, as a family, on gospel issues we would like to practice or learn more about. 
In “Counseling with Our Councils,” a book by Elder Ballard he says, “But I have never observed serious discord or personal enmity among my Brethren. I have, rather, observed a beautiful and remarkable thing- the coming together, under directing influence of the Holy Spirit and under the power of revelation, of divergent views until there is total harmony and full agreement.” This is something we are striving for. Our family has been able to see, hear and understand that each of us has different ideas and opinions and family council is a time that we can share those and discuss them. We have come to see that we don’t all have to have the same opinion to come to a conclusion that works for each of us and that we can be happy about.
REFERENCE
Ballard, M. Russell (1997) Counseling with Our Councils. "Chapter 2: General Councils in the Church."

No comments:

Post a Comment